Do you need a database for your business data? You can create it easily with Microsoft Access. This tool is well-known as the standard and easy-to-use software to create a database from Microsoft.
It has various features that help even beginners to create a database from scratch. Here, we have the guide on How to Make Database Using Microsoft Access for you.
a. Blank Database
First of all, we try to create a black database. It means you don’t use a template or any base for this database. You will create it from scratch. This guide also is a good source for you who want to learn more about using Microsoft Access. Here are the steps to create a blank database on Microsoft Access.
- Open Microsoft Access. For Windows users, open Start Menu and find it on the application list, or use the search bar to find it. For Mac users, you can find this app in the Application folder.
- On the newly opened windows, choose the Blank database button.
- Then, enter the name of that database. Make sure you keep the file extension as ‘.accdb’.
- Click the folder icon beside the name bar to choose where you want to save that database.
- Lastly, click the ‘Create’ button on the bottom part of Windows. And, it’s done.
Once you click the ‘Create’ button, you will be brought to the new window where you can edit that database. At this point, you are done with the step to create a database using Microsoft Access. You can freely add the elements and assets to the database through this editing window.
Also Read: How to Make Database Using MySQL
b. How to Add Table to Your Database
The table is an area where you put the data into your database. The default setting when you just created a database file on Microsoft Access is one table. However, you can add more, if you have various data that you want to put into that database. Plus, you also have the freedom to add as many tables as you want on Microsoft Access.
To create the table, you can use this method:
- On the editing windows, click the ‘Create’ tab on the top menu,
- On the bar under the menu, you can find various icons and symbols you can use. Click the one on the far left that says ‘Table’,
- It will create a table on the database main area below this menu,
- Now, you can do two things, which are renaming the table and entering the data.
- To rename the table, right-click the table you want to rename on the table column, and then choose the ‘Rename’ option. Enter the new name to rename it,
- To add a new table, you can simply click the ‘Table’ button on the ‘Create’ tab that you use earlier.
- To create a new field, click on the field or column that you want to add. Type the data information you want to enter then hit the ‘Enter’ button.
Those are several things you can do in the editing window. You also can use the database tool in this window, like using the Run Macro feature or add a Relationship diagram, and many more. Once you enter all data that you need, click the save button on the header of the window. Or, you can simply press Ctrl+S to save. At this point, we believe you know How to Make Database Using Microsoft Access.
Also Read: Microsoft Access Tips for Newbie
c. How to Create Database Using Template on Microsoft Access
All methods we explained above are using the way to create a blank database that you can edit and modify as you want. However, Microsoft also provides several templates you can use to create the database that you like much easier. Here, we have the step-by-step guide to use that template to create the database that you need.
- Open Microsoft Access,
- On the ‘Getting Started’ windows, you can see a list of available templates that you get after you install this software. Choose any of those templates.
- If you couldn’t find any template that you need, you also can use the online template feature in this software. It allows you to search the available template on the internet.
- Whenever you click the template, you also can see the preview of that template. Therefore, you won’t have a problem choosing the template that matches the database that you want.
- Once you choose the template that you want, you can name the database that you want to create.
- Click the ‘Folder’ icon to choose where you want to save that database.
- Then click the ‘Create’ button to create a database based on that template.
- On the editing page, you will be prompted to sign in using your Microsoft account or another security warning popup window. You can sign in or click ‘Enable Content’ to start using the template for your database.
- Some templates may already have sample data in its table. You can delete this data and enter yours. Open the ‘Home’ tab, then choose the ‘Records’ panel. Then, click the ‘Delete’ button to remove the sample data.
- Enter your data. Once you finish it, click the ‘File’ menu then the ‘Save’ option to save this database. Or, you also can click the disk icon to save it.
- Rename the table and click the ‘Save’ button to finish.
Even though you are using the template, you also have the freedom to change the composition of the database. Add a table, record, query, and other elements through the menu bar on the top area of the editing window. Microsoft Access gives you all those features that allow you to create the best-personalized database.
Also Read: How to Use Microsoft Excel’s Power Query
We hope this guide helps you to understand more about How to Make Database Using Microsoft Access. And, right now, we believe that you won’t have problems creating the database that you want. After all, Microsoft Access has all the features that you need in one tool.